The El Paso & Southwestern
railroad line was completed in 1902. The line ran
from El Paso, Texas to Douglas, Arizona to haul
copper ore from the Bisbee, Arizona mines to the
refinery in El Paso, Texas. Later the line was
extended to Phoenix, Arizona and a spur line from
Hermanas New Mexico to Deming, New Mexico. This
system was known as the "South Line".
The Columbus depot was one of the main stops because
in 1912 the 13th Cavalry set up an Army camp just
south of the depot known as the "Camp at Columbus".
Passenger cars were added and were very popular as
the railroad was the major form of transportation.
The mail, freight and sellable goods were all
transported by rail.
Like all railroads the EP&SW had its ups and downs
through the years. High points were General
Pershing's Punitive Expedition in 1916-1917. WWII
rail traffic was the peak. The low was the 1920-1930
The last train to stop at Columbus was on December
15, 1961. The Post Master at that time was Margaret
Epps and she said she stood at the rear door of the
Post Office and cried like a baby! The station agent
was Pat Truscott as she closed her key forever she
sent the same message as Samuel Morse sent on his
first message and that was "WHAT HATH GOD WRATH".
The trains have gone but the spirit lives on!!
The Train Depot as
it appears today
You are invited to join and support the
Dues and Donations
are tax deductable and are always appreciated
Make payable to:
Columbus Historical Society
CHS P.O. Box 562 Columbus, NM 88029